Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Star Wars Taught Me The Most Important Internet Marketing Lesson

Do you understand light years? I don't have a full grasp on it myself, but it came up in conversation last night and thought it made for a compelling analogy. So, as I butcher any science involved, I'm going to put things into perspective.

A light year is equal to just under 10 trillion km, or about 5,878,630,000,000 miles. A light year is used to measure distances to stars and other Battle Star Galactica terms I'm unfamiliar with.

I do know, however, that there are stars that are multiple light years away that are not currently there anymore. What I mean is that they are so far away we continue to see something that no longer exists. I know, this is a little Star Trekky but stick with me.

So, if there are images that are still visible but no longer exist, how big is all that is out there? The only reason I ask is to simply put into perspective how infinitesimally small and rather unimportant our tasks are. I know some of you just got your feeling hurt by that statement but it's true.

We're talking about this, that and the other in terms of living our lives and how to correctly communicate on Twitter. Give me a Break!

Most of the people I teach over analyze everything. They don't do this, or feel uncomfortable about that, etc. These are all FEAR based emotions that give you feedback in terms of being uneasy. When you begin to realize that you are on this ONE PLANET for a VERY short period of time, dealing with a very minute detail, you will begin to release some of that fear.

Let's face it, what we do, as marketers and business owners, is extremely easy. We have been conditioned to believe what we do is more important than it truly is. Will the Universe come to a screeching halt if you type the wrong keywords, say something out of line on Facebook or get Slapped by Google? No, but most of us spend days, if not months, researching and analyzing something before we do it like we're sending a man to Mars.

Make the most of your time. Be bold and go after what you know is yours. You will be rewarded for your efforts and you will learn and be a better business owner from your mistakes. We're talking about mastering the internet for marketing and advertising purposes, not mastering the Universe. I hope this helps you on your Journey. Until next time, Happy Marketing!

No comments:

Post a Comment